Monday, February 9, 2009

"Just Looking" in Temple

Vickie Nowlin wrote:

Thanks for the memories of the grocery store, Sears and the Haggar Slacks Factory.

I, too, have my memories and family stories of those stores. My mother, Lucille K., took me around downtown visiting. As she told me, Juanita Black and others who worked at Sears would take me from her and show me off around the store. As I learned to walk, etc. I would be allowed to wander around the store abit while Mom visited in there. Unfortunately, during my potty training days, I apparently took advantage of the toilet stool display and went to the bathroom right there in the store. My mom was horrified and scooped me up and proceded to remove all evidence of my little visit there.

As I got older, I was allowed to walk from East Texas St. from our house, to the B & M Mkt. to buy bread or some items not too large for me to carry back home. I remember walking north past the ice house and across the street. I was careful to watch for traffic and people getting gas at the store on the south side. I would enter thru those 2 huge screen doors there. I would look at all the general store goods on that side of the store and walk on north into the grocery section to get what Mom had sent me for. She would send a list for Homer Zachary (who cashiered there) to make sure I got what I needed. When we placed the items at the check out counter, I would say, "Put it on the bill." Then he would make out the ticket in his flourishing handwriting style. I would watch intently as he would take the pen in his hand and move it around in circles for a few seconds, then start writing the items down on the ticket pad. His penmanship was beautiful! He would give me a copy of the ticket to be put in the sack, and off I would go back out the south doors, across the street and headed home.

At some point, Fetters Furniture Store was next door to the grocery store. I would walk downstown from our house on Oregon St. and go in to browse at the furniture. As I walked in, Herman Fetters would always speak to me as if I were a grown up lady. I would smile and say hello back. As I was walking along the furniture display, he would come down and say, "May I help you Ma'am?" I would continue walking and politely respond, "No thank you, I am just looking!" We went thru this ritual many times and he always let me know he was there to help me if I needed help and then let me "just look".

Lots of memories....

No comments:

Post a Comment