Sunday, February 22, 2009

1961... or Before?

Vickie Keck Nowlin wrote:

I was looking at the photos that Roger Mac Norman sent you of Temple, taken from the top of one of the elevators. He dated the photos 1961. I think they are earlier than that.

My folks, Lucille & Dewey Keck bought the house at 301 W. Oregon St. (part of the corner is shown on the first photo at the right edge) in 1961 (I was almost 9). I can see the edge of the corner lot our house was on and the plantings (Arbivitae bushes) were very small and sparse in the photo. When we moved in they were huge and had grown closer together. It didn't show our house, however, to see if it even existed at all. It was built in 1948-49. Before that, the lot was part of a semi-circle drive that lead up to one of the old Mooney houses. Mr. & Mrs. Reagan lived in that house when we moved in there in 1961. AND I can't see the new elementary school that I started first grade in in 1958-59.....so....I think that is an earlier photo of Temple.

However, I enjoyed seeing some of the old houses and remembering the neighbors that lived in those houses for so many years. 3 or 4 of the houses are gone now. And I could see that multi-storied bldg. that I think Dr. Monet's office was in on the same block the Baptist Church is on (just west and across the street & a block south of Oregon St.) Was that once an old hotel? Didn't it burn down? Or just torn down? Just wondering about the actual date of those photos. Fun to look at. It is bringing up memories that I had forgotten about. My mother lives with us...but she has forgotten things, too. I enjoyed reliving the old block.

No comments:

Post a Comment