Wednesday, December 24, 2008

More Musical Memories from Temple High School

Here's an exchange between Annette Waller Keeter and her brother, Bob Waller, continuing memories of days in the Temple band:

Annette:
I have been trying to remember who all played in that band you had when you were in high school. Dean Miller played the tuba. I THINK you and Jimmy Harper played guitars. Was there someone else? I know Reeda Jean Monroe sang some.
You were called something like the four sharps and a flat.

Bob’s reply:
It was Keith Michael, Reeda Jean Monroe, Coach Dean Miller and me. It was called 3 Sharps and a Flat. We used to practice at Carl Harpers house. That's where Jimmy and Chester lived. Since we didn't drink, we didn't sound better the longer we played so we went home early lots of nights. Dean Miller was a "hoot" at those practices. Keith was always trying to get us more serious. I guess he thought we were going to be good. Jimmy and Chester were getting pretty good. Our careers were cut short by graduating and going on the harvest.

Anette also reminded me about the men's quartet:
The quartet was me (Harold Powell), Joe Knox, Vonden Richardson and Raymond Nail. It had a short life – one performance. I can’t recall if it was at the last assembly or graduation. We sang, “Want No Silver Threads Among the Gold, Be My Life’s Companion and We’ll Never Grow Old”, and “Rag Time Cowboy Joe”.

No comments:

Post a Comment