Friday, August 22, 2008

Secret Life of Temple Band Member

Vickie Keck Nowlin wrote to me about her days as a member of the Temple band and cheerleader. Thank you Vickie for sharing your story. It brought tears to my eyes. I'm sure it is a universal story that many people will cherish.

Here is Part I of Vickie's story about the band:

I was in high school band in the 7th and 8th grades (1965 & 1966). I played clarinet and was not so great as to ever achieve 1st chair, but I couldn't "NOT" be a part of things, so I persevered on for a couple of years.

The August before my 7th grade, Mr. Robertson, who was the band director at the time, brought us all out on the football field to start band practice. We gathered at 7:30 AM before it got too hot and began what I remember as more of a boot camp than band practice. We all learned how to keep a straight line and how to do precision marching. I realized right away that I couldn't march AND count yard lines AND play music at the same time. I was probably the best "lip sync-ing" clarinet player in the whole band.

Besides, I don't think anyone would have wanted to hear my "squeaking" rendition of "Sound and Fury" anyway. Now, if we were sitting or standing still, I could play pretty good without squeaking the instrument. But marching, counting and playing all at the same time was not my thing! All I remember about that summer was that I lost weight and got taller.

I walked into the Temple Jr. High School building looking nothing like the chubby 6th grader that walked out of the Temple Elementary School that past spring.
I will have to say that I learned discipline and more self-confidence by the 8th grade though. I can still remember “THE LONG RED LINE” that marched from the band room to the stadium for home games. It was an event, an awaited treat for the crowd. Our uniforms were new (red and white) and our hats had white plumes on them. Our white shoes had taps on the toes and when we exited the band room (across from the cafeteria) the drum major's whistle signaled us to attention. We were taught to carry our instrument a certain way, and we wore white gloves (with holes cut out of the tips to be able to play our instruments).

The drums began the marching cadence on the rims and we slid our taps against concrete sidewalk in rhythm to that cadence. As we marched out of those double doors, we found our younger fans waiting for us with bright, excited eyes and they followed us around the sidewalk as we passed the home-ec cottage, then the gym and the south entrance to the school building.

And just as we started up the ramp into the stadium, the drums switched from the rims to the drum skins echoing off the concrete walls and buildings. The fans started applauding and seemed to be just waiting for the band to make its entrance. We tried to stay in step and all moving as one. After getting settled into our reserved area in the stadium, we continued to march in place until the drum major took his baton and held it above his head and then whistled 3 times and the drums stopped and we all stood still at attention.

Then after the next signal, we played, "ONWARD TIGERS" and the crowd all stood up and clapped and sang. Only then were we allowed to sit down (in unison). The twirlers were wonderful and wore those short skirts and boots with huge pom-poms on them.

Don Smallwood was the drum major when I was in the 7th Grade and Jackie Rodolph was in my 8th grade. The twirlers were Marilyn and Carolyn Graham (TWINS--another novelty), Jackie Rodolph, and the next year Renee Gower, Anne Davis and Kathy Hale were added. We had strict rules about how and where we placed our hats and our instruments while sitting with the pep club in our area. When it came time to march out on the field for the opening program (the national anthem and the fight song again) and for half time performances, we always stayed in a formal line.

Only after the 3rd quarter of the game were we allowed to take a break and go to the concession stand for a drink or a snack and to the bathroom. All thru the game, we entertained the crowd with different marches and the fight song after a touch down. The twirlers did routines and the cheerleaders did pom-pom kicks to it all. Then we marched back to the band room in a LONG RED LINE just as we came in. Only then were we excused to leave on our own.

Out of town games were tiring but fun. There were 2 buses (a high school bus and a jr. high bus) to drive us to and from games (band trips on the buses were a whole other experience as well).

And we were expected to march and play at the Thursday night pep rally downtown. We marched from the school down Commercial to the middle of town where a huge bon fire was burning. The football team walked down with us lead by the cheerleaders carrying the dummy of the opposing team that would be burned in the fire.

Cheers, songs, twirlers doing routines, coaches speaking... the whole thing was something the school and the town looked forward to every week of football season. And can you forget the homecoming parade and special half time performances? The football queen and princesses walking with the football captains?

And the embarrassing "KISS"???? (I had the honor of being a football princess my junior year and walked with Jerry Norman at the half time performance.)
Finally, during the winter months, we had concert band on stage and there was a jazz ensemble, too. And can any of us forget marching in the Xmas Parade in Okla. City? We nearly froze to death. I couldn't feel my nose, my feet or my fingers. It was sheer torture.

No comments:

Post a Comment