Thursday, May 28, 2009

Billie (Frances Brown) Campbell, a 1944 graduate of Temple High, responded to the posts about Temple teachers:

I only attended THS from 9th through 12th grades, as we lived north of town near Pioneer school, which provided grades from Primary through 8th grade. The teachers I remember most vividly are Miss Christine Simpson (English) and Mr. Jarrett, who taught one semester of Psychology (his main duties were those of either Principal or Superintendent). Miss Simpson never scolded or even raised her voice, but there was complete quiet and order in her class. I came away from those two teachers with a love for words and for language, and with a fascination for human behavior, the latter of which became the basis for my career as a psychotherapist after some years of work at OU.

Two other teachers I remember were Mr. Robert Mastin
(coach, who made no secret of the fact that he hated being required to teach girls' physical ed) and Ms. Burright (sp?) who taught vocal music and who once embarrassed Mr. Mastin by composing and having us sing a response to his favorite song, "Bicycle Built for Two". It went something like this: "Bobby, Bobby, here is my answer true: I'm half crazy, all for the love of you; But we'd better postpone the marriage, since we can't afford a carriage, For I'll be hanged, if I'll be banged on a bicycle built for two."

Ah! Weren't those the days?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment